Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day Six - Thredbo to Corryong

I knew this day was going to be tough so I got up early, opened the blinds and checked for snow. No snow, just raining phew!






My trusty stead - sans panniers - waiting patiently.

I left Thredbo and started the climb towards Dead Horse Gap. It was bloody cold!



My girliest jump outside Thredbo.



Some of the beautiful water-ways that I rode past.

Dead Horse Gap is the highest sealed road in Australia. The roads were great, winding, awesome views and totally devoid of traffic. The whole day I reckon I was passed by only a handful of cars. Makes for some very nice cycling, if only it weren't for those pesky hills.


1582 metres high.


One of the few times I had emergency call reception.



The greatest sign in the world!



Kangaroos!



Resting up at Geehi campsite.

I made several stops: at Leatherbarrel Creek and Geehi. I was trying to ration my food and water as there are no services until Khancoban, about 85 kms from Thredbo. As it turns out I had plenty of water. I think it was so cold that I wasn't really sweating much and so didn't need to consume as much water.

I saw a bunch of wildlife, including one kangaroo that nearly hopped out in front of me at 50 km/h!




Wildflowers.



I finally made it to Victoria!

The mountains were hard but I was able to distract myself with some killer views. There were also some very fast down hills. I'd love to do that route on a road bike without all the weight of the panniers. You could absolutely scream down some of those roads.

I was so stoked to see the mighty Murray river in the distance (the border between NSW and Victoria). I know I've still got quite a way to go but it feels like I'm in the home stretch now. Lots of fist pumping approaching the border :)


Christine and her lovely family and friends.

I made it into Corryong - supposedly the town where the man from Snowy River comes from - and had an awesome dinner with Christine, her family and friends... oh and their gorgeous dog Joe!


What a cutie.


No comments:

Post a Comment