Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day Seven - Corryong to Beechworth

Distance: 149.67 km
Riding time: 7:48:24
Average speed: 19.1 km/h
Maximum speed: 60.1 km/h
Bum soreness: 7/10



Yesterday was hilly but today was the longest of my trip. I started riding at 6:30 am and didn't get into Beechworth until about 12 hours later, around 7pm. I was buggered! I stopped for lunch in Tallangatta and had a wee nap in the park. I made it to Yackandandah by the afternoon and it was a lovely place to stop. It's a small town with only one main street but it's very pretty and still has some of the Gold Rush opulence of yesteryear. Well worth a visit if you're in the area. 



Early-morning shadows.


My legs and even hips are starting to feel the strain of a week's riding without a break. In lieu of a proper rest day, tomorrow I'll take it easy and just cycle the 40 kms or so to Benalla (1/4 of yesterday's ride). 


Some fantastic terrain.

I got to Beechworth and had a bit of time to check out the old gold rush town before meeting my friend Hayley. It's such a pretty town. Grand colonial buildings and stone-paved streets remind you of its former glory days as rich gold mining town. I loved Beechworth and I know I'll be back here soon enough.



Me, in Beechworth, outside the fantastic Tanswell's Commercial Hotel.



Hayley, our matron and myself.

I met up with Hayley and we went and did the ghost tour at the old Beechworth Asylum. It's a huge heritage-listed complex on top of a hill overlooking the town. It was a great experience as the place still feels really creepy. Many of the rooms are still original and have a cold, institutional feel to them, complete with autopsy tables, electro-convulsive therapy tables, etc.



The autopsy table.

No comments:

Post a Comment