Friday, November 27, 2009

Day Two - Wollongong to Bundanoon



Distance: 117.43 km
Riding time: 6:25:09
Average speed: 18.2 km/h
Maximum speed: 46.9 km/h
Bum soreness: 6/10

Today nearly wrecked me. It started off well enough: some nice bike paths south of Wollongong past the industrial heart of Port Kembla. Then I cut inland through the strikingly-lush and green hinterland. I stopped for a photo at the big KM sign and that's where the hurt began.

Climbing Mount Jamberoo Road was an absolute killer. There were parts so steep that I couldn't not ride up them. Firstly I just don't think I was physically capable but also the incline was so great that my back panniers were tipping the bike over!

Every metre was hard-won. It was a tough slog getting up that son-of-a-mountain. Finally I did and had some nice curvy roads. Unfortunately there was almost no shoulder to speak of and was very nearly killed by a huge track gunning it along the road.

I stopped at the Robertson pie shop that I'd heard so much about and had two as a snack. Riding all day gives you the appetite of several horses. The pies were good and just what I needed for the rest of the day's journey.

I finally made it to Bundanoon, absolutely exhausted. I stayed in the pretty, Tudor-style pub and was pleased to see they had an all-you-can-eat special for dinner. I think I nearly ate them out of business. I had a pint of Guinness and watched a couple of episodes of The Wire before a well-deserved sleep.


A good hearty breakie for the hard slog ahead.



Many kms to go.



I was absolutely stuffed riding up that road!



Wildlife!

1 comment: