Saturday, November 28, 2009

Day Four - Canberra to Cooma

Distance: 104.26 km
Riding time: 4:26:26
Average speed: 23.4 km/h
Maximum speed: 57.2 km/h
Bum soreness: 6/10


Jill and her beautiful kids.

Today started off great. Firstly, I slept like a log in Sam's spare room. I felt so much better after a good nights sleep. Secondly, I had a good breakfast and a quick check of the email – loving Sam's good Canberra Internet. I was on the road by 9 am and on my way down the Monaro Highway towards Cooma.

Despite the name I didn't see a single Monaro. As far as Australian muscle cars go I did however, see a Phase 3 GTHO and a 351 GT. Cars aside there was also plenty of road kill (including a 'roo) in various states of decomposition. Some I could actually smell before I saw them!

Pretty uneventful riding except for the speed. I was flying thanks to my new tire. The wobble on my bike had gone and I was finally comfortable doing 50 kph + speeds. Because of this I was making awesome time until the winds kicked in. If I had a sail I could have hoisted it and sailed all the way to Cooma no problems. At times I got a great tail wind helping me up the hills. Other times it was an awful cross wind so strong it blew me off the road a couple of times.

I stopped for lunch in a classic, tiny middle-of-nowhere Aussie pub in Bredbo. I considered having lunch there and asked what they had: a few pies – all with meat and a steak sandwich. I decided to hold out for Cooma. I did stop for a drink and some chips (crisps) and they were very friendly. They even filled up my water bottle with ice – perfect for a hot day!


Hot and dry in the middle of nowhere,


I did ride past some fellow cycling tourers. They were English and were riding all the way to Perth. We had a great little chat. They told me of some of the bad treatment they'd received from cars: swearing, beeping, intimidating driving, middle fingers, etc. They were quite shocked by it and I felt bad for them, even embarrassed. In Australia cyclists seem to be second class citizens. It's sad to see. I think we're missing out on a great opportunity not only for healthier communities but also economic benefits. Tourists love to come and see Australia. Many are from cycling-friendly European countries. It'd be better for everyone if cycling touring was a more attractive option for tourists than it is now.


A little kid that can't spell lost their cat, awww.

I made it to Cooma where they had a McDonalds. I never thought I'd say this but I was very happy to see the golden arches as I rode into town. I'm not “lovin' it” but I am lovin' the free WiFi they have!

I stayed with Jill and her wonderful family. It was lovely being in a family home, makes me look forward to living at home.


A little hilly just outside Canberra.


Leaving the A.C.T. and entering New South Wales again.

No comments:

Post a Comment